Monday, March 27, 2006

Adventures in exercising with C.F.S.

Having been robbed of an hour yesterday (was feeling all good about the time I woke up until I realised that the clocks had gone forward) I decided to go for a swim. Moving the body gently for a bit helps. It helps to get rid of my stress and burns off enough energy to sleep. It also (if I get the intuitive energy spending right) is gentle enough to not create a hyper or energy deficit.

My brain wasn’t entirely with me yesterday. Or so I thought. It felt like it had gone on vacation and left me feeling a tad spaced out and ‘woe is me for it’ for it. But it appears comedy arrives in the most unexpected of places.

Swimming served the energy well. I meandered up and down the adult swimming lane for about 25 minutes and felt mighty pleased with myself for my intuitive energy management. I followed with cool downs and got a little playful (well I was happy and it’s important to be playful) and did some duck dives, seeing how far I could swim underwater. It was then that I made the discovery that I was not alone in my section of the pool. Floating towards my mouth at an alarming rate of knots from all the currents being created was a healthy sized globule of frog spawn. I first questioned my eyes, trying to believe it was anything other than the obvious, and dearly wanting to dismiss this foreign object as benign, but I couldn’t so I called over the nearest begoggled father and child for a second opinion. Cue more duck diving (especially from the gangly child who was more than happy to help) and an emphatic validation of my opinion. Swift hoo-ha followed. Kids started clambering out the pool, shouting ‘EURGH!’ and bellowing at the tops of their hyper little lungs that frogs would be hatching soon (would have liked to have seen that if they did they did. They would look rather odd from all the chlorine that had been incubating them). Life guards then began drawing straws and having discussions about who was going to dive in with a bucket and collect the stuff, especially as more clumps appeared.

I found myself sitting on the side, huddled in a towel, watching this frenetic activity with amused detachment. Yes my brain is tired. And yes so is my body. But it appears my eyes were working better, and working better than anyone else is this busy pool and that is something worth noting. Blessings in strange places. So I thanked the delightful child that emptied his ‘show and tell’ project into the pool for my comedy diversion and for my positive observation of the day. But most of all I thanked my eyes for working and most of all thanked my reactions that said ‘SHUT YOUR MOUTH!’

Bless the bod. It’s getting me there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home